Born in Haifa (Israël), Michale Boganim grows up in israël. She then studied philosophy and later anthropology at the Sorbonne in Paris. Jean Rouch directed her master degree. She then joins the National Film School of London.
2003: DIM MEMORIES
Her first studies movie “DIM MEMORIES” (an average-length film) is about the family myth. It’s a fiction and a documentary deconstructed mixture of archives, photos and voice-over.
The movie was selected at « La Quinzaine des Réalisateurs” – Cannes film festival 2002 and won the Gras Savoye prize.
2005 : ODESSA… ODESSA !
Her first feature film, ODESSA… ODESSA! (Coproduced between France and Israel) is shot between Odessa, New York and Israel. The movie is presented to the Berlin festival and wins CICAE Price. “ODESSA…ODESSA!” is also presented at the Sundance Festival where it wins the Jury Prize. The film won the Best Director Price at the Jerusalem festival, and other prizes in Denmark, Prague… It’s selected in more than 50 festivals around the world. It has been sold in France and in lot of other countries.
2006 - 2007: She shoots several documentaries through Eastern Europe and Asia for ARTE. “MACAO, LAST STOP” was selected in Rotterdam. “DOVID KATZ” which is a portrait of a Yiddish linguist, around Lithuania and Belarus, received the Jury Prize at the “Doc en court” festival.
2012: She shoots “LAND OF OBLIVION”, her first fiction on the Chernobyl catastrophe (produced by Les Films du Poisson and coproduced by German Vanderstatic and Polish Apple film). The film is presented to the Venice film festival, the Toronto Festival and in more than 50 festivals around the world. It is selected to the festival of Tokyo where it wins a big success and makes an impressive release. In France the movie wins the Public Prize to the festival of Angers and it is universally eulogized by the critics.
LOST IN AMERICA
Fiction – feature film- Drama
Production : MP PRODUCTIONS
2012:LAND OF OBLIVION, Fiction
France, Germany, Ukraine, Poland
Staring Olga Kurylenko, Andrzej Chyra, Serguei Strelnikov …
In 1986, Pripiat near Tchernobyl, few days before the disaster. The wedding of Piotr and Anya is abruptly stopped by a fire at the plant…
2005 : ODESSA… ODESSA !
96 min - 35 mm -
An elegiac documentary structured like a three strophes of a piece of Music. Through the stories of various characters, the movie takes us in Odessa, New York and Israel. The movie evokes the exile and the wandering of a particular community: the Jews of Odessa.
2007: RENATA - 26’ - ARTE
A portrait of twin sisters working as waitresses at the shipyard of Gdansk. Poland.
2007: DOVID KATZ - 26’ARTE
A portrait of a Yiddish linguist, around Lituania and Belarus.
2004 MACAO, LAST STOP
50’ - Portugal/ France ARTE
The Old Portuguese colony became the center of Gambling and Prostitution. Exploration of Macau through a subjective travel where the myth and the reality are merging in a strange figure.
2002 DIM MEMORIES
Personal investigation about Henry Hall: spy for Mossad, gambler, murderer, war hero. Who was really Henry Hall?
The film is a portrait of three characters in Odessa. The story of their lives is in many ways the story of the city, now a faded relic of its former self.
PRIZES AND AWARDS :
2012: LAND OF OBLIVION
- Official selection :Venice film festival,( Mostra de Venizia).San Paulo film festival (Mostra de Sau- Paulo).
- Toronto film festival, Chicago film festival, San Fransisco film festival, Palm Spring film festival Tokyo film festival, Munich, Varsaw and more than 50 festivals around the world.
- Jury Prize of Tokyo film Festival
- Winner of “La fondation Gan” for best script.
- Winner of Public prize and the screenplay prize in the Angers film festival.
- Winner of Public prize The Thessalonique film festival and the Munich film festival.
2007: DOVID KATZ :
- Winner of Best Short at the “Doc en court festival” Lyon 2007.
2003: ODESSA… ODESSA ! :
- Official Selection Sundance Film Festival 2005. Jury prize.
- Winner: CICAE Prize: Berlin film festival
- Winner of Louis Marcorelles Prize at Cinema du Réel.Pompidou center, modern museum of Art in Paris.
- Winner of the best Israeli director Jerusalem Film Festival 2005
- Winner of Special Mention at CPHDOX Award, Danemark 2005
- Winner of Best sound at One World Film Festival, Prague 2005
- Winner Merit prize Taiwan art film festival 2005.
- Official selection: Rotterdam film festival IDFA, Sheffield, Lussas, Hot Doc, Torronto,
- Gotterborg film festival, Moscow film, Festival, Vienne film festival, Molodist film festival,
- Buenos Aires Independant film festival, les Rencontres Internationales, Colombie film festival.
2004: MACAO, LAST STOP :
- Official selection Rotterdam film festival 2004.
2002 : DIM MEMORIES :
- Official selection at « La quinzaine des réalisateurs » Cannes 2002 and Rotterdam film festival.
- Winner of the Prize Gras Savoye. Cannes film festival 2002
- Winner best short film at Palm Springs film festival.2002
- Official selection : Festival Dei Popoli, Sheffield Film festival UK, Festival du film Femmes de Bordeaux, Med film festival, Rome, Paris tout court, Doc en court (Lyon- France), Imperial War Museum festival (London), Les états généraux du documentaire, Lussas (France), Boston Jewish film festival, Washington film festival, Montreal film festival.
2001 : DUST
- Official selection: International Film Festival of Berlin, Forum of New cinema ,International Film festival of Rotterdam 2002,
- Winner of the Critic’s Prize at Cracovie film festival
- Winner of the Critic’s Prize at les Rencontres Henri Langlois.
- Winner of the Prize for best short documentary at Leeds international film festival (UK).
- Winner of the Prize for best short documentary, Evora film festival, Portugal
- Winner of the Best cinematography prize at Tel Aviv film festival
- Winner of Prize for best short at Molodist film festival, Kiev
- Official selection : “Rencontres Internationales du Film” of Paris (Forum des images), Karlovy vary film festival, Sheffield international film festival (UK), Munich Film festival , “Typiquement British” (Centre Georges Pompidou - France),” New York Jewish film festival (Lincoln Center), Gotterborg international film festival(Suede), Leetonia film festival, Minneapolis film festival, Chicago film festival, Boston Jewish film festival.